Low grades may transfer to some universities

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

By Yubhya Garcia

Some universities will allow students to transfer D grades, transfer center Coordinator Terry Walch said Nov. 19.
“If D’s are transferable and it is not in a student’s major and with no higher level course for which this prerequisite is needed, then I recommend keeping the course,” Walch said.
Walch said D’s are not recommended because they lower students’ GPAs.
An example for dropping a course rather than making a D is if the student wants to apply for admission to the nursing program, which is very competitive.
In that case, students should worry about maintaining a high grade-point average, Counselor Melissa Sutherland said.
She said that students should have decided on the university they want to transfer to, then follow a degree plan and have the university catalog to learn what courses and prerequisites are required.
Walch advises students to talk to an adviser at the university and know what the requirements for transferring are.
A required grade-point average plays a big role in transferring, Walch said.
Kyle Pyron, Texas State University-San Marcos admissions counselor, said universities require different minimum GPAs for transfer students. The minimum any university will accept is 2.0, he said.
Walch said that the universities that transfer D’s are University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas State University and Texas A&M University at Kingsville-San Antonio.
She also added that some of the universities that do not transfer D’s are Our Lady of the Lake University, University of the Incarnate Word, University of Texas at Austin and St. Mary’s University.
Walch encourages students to think how many classes they can be successful in when signing up instead of getting in the habit of dropping.
Sutherland recommends students monitor their grades and maintain good communication with professors.
For more information, visit the transfer center in the Balditt Counseling Center on the first floor of Moody Learning Center from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays or log on to Web site www.accd.edu/sac/csd/tc/.
Students can call 733-2099.


Leave A Reply